LEWISTON (NEWS CENTER Maine) — A man has died from serious injuries sustained during a large street brawl near Kennedy Park in Lewiston.

Police say 38-year-old Donald Giusti of Auburn died Friday at Central Maine Medical Center.

Donald Giusti
Donald Giusti

Witnesses said the fight broke out Tuesday night, June 12, when a group of people drove by shooting a pellet gun while the Guisti was sitting in Kennedy Park.

Guisti was hospitalized since Tuesday where he underwent surgery but remained in critical condition until his death. Detectives from State Police and Lewiston Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fatal fight.


The State Medical Examiner's Office will be conducting an autopsy to determine Guisti's cause of death.

Lewiston Police announced an increased presence and foot patrols in the area. A 9:00 p.m. curfew is also being enforced near Knox and Spruce Streets.

The investigation is ongoing and police are still encouraging anyone who witnessed the incident to contact the detective division of Lewiston Police Department at (207) 513-3138 or State Police Major Crimes Unit at (207) 624-7076.

A.J. Frost, a Lewiston resident, said he was in the Tuesday night fight.

"I watched it," said Frost. "The dude kicked him in his head and I was in shock.”

Kimberly Burby of Lewiston said the man is a father two girls. "His youngest is five. I don’t know how we are going to explain this to her.”

“I wouldn’t even say they were targeting anybody specifically," said Lieutenant David St. Pierre of the

Lee Daniels knows the victim but was not at the fight. He is concerned about safety at the park.

“It’s sad, you have to have two, three, four people just to know that you are safe," Daniels said. “I have my knife. I have my sidearm on my side that’s that. I’m fine by myself. I know I can hold my own.”
This is not the first time a fight broke out in the same park. “I don’t think it’s racism. I think it is hate and animosity,” said Daniels.

“Without communication and without active participation from the community we have a difficult job,” said Lieutenant St. Pierre.

Investigators are checking surveillance footage as part of the ongoing Maine State Police investigation, but they are asking for those with information to come forward. No suspects or charges have been released.