There are many factors we may not think about that can make that outdoor workout a little more dangerous than just hitting the gym. Dr. Mimi Secor offers up some advice to avoid injury when enjoying the summer weather:
- Wear sunscreen
- Be well hydrated (before, during, and after)
- Watch out for insects, ticks, etc. Consider wearing insect repellant
- Avoid overheating (especially if you are used to exercising in an air-conditioned gym/space)
- If jogging or cycling, be careful of cars and other hazards. Seek out designated walking and/or bike paths, or at the very least roads with a wide breakdown lane/bike path area.
- Wear a helmet if cycling even on a bike path
- Wear bright-colored clothing and consider a flashing light on your helmet or bike.
- Avoid exercising alone, especially at night
- Consider carrying pepper spray or a whistle if exercising alone
- Avoid exercising in a remote area, especially if female.
- Consider working out with a friend
- Seek flat, firm, well-maintained surfaces for running, jogging, walking or biking.
Dr. Mimi Secor is a Nurse Practitioner in New England, and has specialized in women's health for more than 40 years. To learn more about her speaking engagements and the books she's written, click here. To download her app, text "DrMimi" to 36260.