Breaking News
More () »

Medical facility in Westbrook evacuated due to space heater incident

The incident took place on Monday morning, fire officials say.

WESTBROOK, Maine — Editor's note: The video above originally aired on Sept. 16, 2023.

A commercial medical facility in Westbrook was evacuated Monday morning after a space heater incident, officials say. 

The Westbrook Fire Department wrote in a Facebook post that a space heater was plugged into a power strip and overloaded the circuit. 

"Attentive staff took quick action to notify 911 and evacuate the building," the post stated. 

A near miss this morning at a commercial medical facility where a space heater plugged into a power strip overloaded the...

Posted by Westbrook Fire Department on Monday, September 18, 2023

Fire officials checked the heat behind the wall, and it was soon extinguished. 

"As heating season approaches, it's a good reminder for us all to not overload power strips. Accessory heating appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet," the post stated.

Fire crews called the incident a "near miss."    

More NEWS CENTER Maine stories

For the latest breaking news, weather, and traffic alerts, download the NEWS CENTER Maine mobile app.

Before You Leave, Check This Out