SOUTH PORTLAND (NEWS CENTER Maine) — Multiple police agencies were seen Tuesday night searching a plaza area in South Portland.
The presence was positioned off Western Avenue, a roadway that stretches from the Portland Jetport to Westbrook Street near Clark Pond and includes several businesses.
Officers were observed using K-9s to aid in their search, which had been active for a couple hours.
It was not immediately clear whether the police activity was related to a recent string of robberies in the greater Portland area.
An employee at the Aroma Joe's coffee shop on Western Avenue told NEWS CENTER Maine a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt knocked on the store window with a gun. She said she ran straight into the bathroom and called police.
- TUES 3/27 - Aroma Joe's on Western Ave, South Portland robbed at 8:30 p.m.
- MON 3/26 - Subway on Prides Corner in Westbrook robbed at 8:30 p.m.
- SUN 3/25 - China Taste on Washington Ave, Portland robbed at 8:40 p.m.
- SAT 3/24 - The Daily Grind in Westbrook robbed at 7:50 p.m.
- THU 3/22 - An Irving Station on Main Street in Cumberland robbed at 8 p.m.
- THU 3/22 - Good Things Variety on Saco St in Westbrook robbed at 1 p.m.
- WED 3/21 - Lil' Mart on Route 1 in Falmouth robbed at 8 p.m.
- TUE 3/13 - Riverton Gas Station on Forest Ave robbed at 7:30 p.m.
Kayla Hicks-McCaffrey said she believes it was the same man who is suspected of robbing several area businesses.
"I've been paranoid about a robbery just because of all the mugs in the area," Hicks-McCaffrey told NEWS CENTER Maine. "I have the windows always locked and doors always locked."
Hicks-McCaffrey said she didn't have time to grab her phone and used her Apple Watch to make the 911 call. She said police arrived within two minutes.
This is a developing story. We'll continue to update as more information becomes available.