LEWISTON, Maine — Twelve people have been left homeless after a structure fire in a multi-family home at 36 Shawmut Street in Lewiston.

Fire officials responded to the fire at 6:03 on Sunday morning. 

According to the on-duty Lewiston Fire Department fire chief, the fire began in the 2nd floor ceiling and was electrical in nature.

Two families were displaced in the fire. 

According to a release from the American Red Cross, Maine Region, disaster responders are aiding to the 12 displaced to meet their immediate needs of food and a safe place to sleep.

Those displaced will be provided community referrals to help them get back on their feet. 

The Lewiston Fire Department estimates the fire caused $10,000 worth of damage.  

RELATED: Brewer restaurant fire ruled accidental

RELATED: Harpswell home destroyed in fire; two brought to hospital