VERONA, Maine — Falling ice sheets was the cause of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge to be closed Monday morning.
The Maine Department of Transportation (Maine D.O.T.) closed the bridge around 10 a.m. Monday. Officials said the closure was over concern for ice falling off the bridge cables.
Maine D.O.T. officials detoured traffic and activated message boards to alert travelers.
The bridge is now open but officials said it was closed for a total of 40 minutes.
MORE STORIES PEOPLE ARE READING:
- Massive fire in Rumford injures 6, three jump to safety
- One of Maine's oldest diners where locals say 'if you can't handle it, don't come in'
- MMC Research Institute awarded grant to study benefits of therapeutic horseback riding for children with autism
- 3 teens dead, 2 others severely injured in Clinton crash
- A new team offers new opportunities for these brothers