*UPDATE 3/1 6:30 p.m. – Bangor School Department Superintendent of Schools Betsy Webb in a statement released Thursday night confirmed that Marissa Kennedy was a student at Fairmount School in Bangor during the 2016-17 academic year.
Superintendent Webb said that while Marissa was a student in Bangor, department administrators and teachers "complied with all school policies and laws regarding the reporting of suspected abuse and neglect to the Maine Department of Health & Human Services."
"Therefore, on a number of occasions when our staff had a reason to report suspected abuse or neglect," Webb wrote, "staff made the necessary reports to DHHS, which is the state agency assigned the responsibility to investigate."
Webb said department personnel also complied with policy and laws addressing absenteeism and truancy of students. Due to confidentiality restrictions, Webb said she's unable to share specific circumstances or actions taken by staff, but she's confident the school department acted "appropriately and always in the best interest of Marissa."
"This has been a difficult time for us," Webb said, "and supports are in place for those needing assistance."
*UPDATE 3/1 5:15 p.m. – Bangor Police Chief Mark Hathaway in a statement released Thursday afternoon said once members of the department "became aware of 10-year-old Marissa Kennedy's tragic death," and her previous ties to Bangor, they searched internal data for any involvement that "may [have] prove[n] useful for investigators."
That's when officials at the department realized they did, in fact, have contact with the Carrillo family.
According to Chief Hathaway, none of the Bangor police officers "observe[d] injury or behavior suggesting that Marissa or her siblings were in a dangerous or unhealthy environment."
He said all members of the department were heartbroken to hear the news.
"Please know that any suggestion that officers had information or knowledge that Marissa or her siblings were in an abusive situation, and did not act, is simply inaccurate," Hathaway wrote. "We will continue to review this matter and provide all relevant data to the Office of the Attorney General."
*UPDATE 3/1 4:15 p.m. – An official with the Bangor Police Department tells NEWS CENTER Maine that, according to records, police were called to the Carrillo's apartment at lease six times between December 2016 and June 2017. The June visit was for a juvenile runaway. Officials referred us to the Office of the Maine Attorney General for any other information.
BELFAST (NEWS CENTER Maine) – The attorney for Sharon Carrillo’s husband, Julio Carrillo, confirmed to NEWS CENTER Maine Thursday morning his client’s wife is pregnant with their third child.
NEWS CENTER Maine broke the story of Sharon Carrillo’s pregnancy first after speaking with Attorney Steven Peterson of Rockport.
Peterson says his client, Julio Carrillo, 51, told him Wednesday his wife Sharon Carrillo, 33, is seven months pregnant and due in May.
As previously reported, Julio and Sharon Carrillo have been charged with the death of 10-year-old Marissa Kennedy, Sharon’s first child.
Peterson went on to say his client will be considering a mental health defense and will plan to undergo a mental health evaluation.
The Carrillo’s made their first court appearance Wednesday afternoon in Waldo County Superior Court, each facing one count of depraved indifference murder. They are both currently being held on 500,000 dollars bail each.
NEWS CENTER Maine also spoke with the attorney for Sharon Carrillo, Christopher MacLean of Camden.
MacLean says his law office has received numerous calls from people who know the Carrillo family and are willing to speak to his client’s defense.
MacLean also confirmed his client might be considering a mental health defense.
The couple is due back in court April 30th.