Breaking News
More () »

Man dies in Vassalboro house fire Thursday

According to the Maine Dept. of Public Safety, a toaster malfunction caused the fire.

VASSALBORO, Maine — The State Fire Marshal's Office said a man died in a house fire in Vassalboro Thursday afternoon.

On Friday morning, state police identified the man as 26-year-old Nicholas Blaschke.

Investigators say a toaster in the kitchen malfunctioned and started the fire in the one-story house on Hussey Hill Road. Fire marshals said Blaschke likely overloaded the toaster, causing it to overheat and catch fire.

Blaschke's mother, Kathleen Cote, discovered the fire when she returned home from work late in the afternoon. 

She found Blaschke on the kitchen floor and attempted to pull him out of the house but couldn't. State Police Lt. Scott Ireland lives nearby and was able to pull the man outside, but was unable to resuscitate him.

A State Trooper who lives nearby pulled the man from the smoke-filled house, however, resuscitation efforts were not successful. 

Lt. Ireland was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. 

NEWS CENTER Maine will update this story when more information becomes available.

RELATED: Car repair shop catches fire in Mechanic Falls

RELATED: Massive fire in Rumford injures 6, three jump to safety