(NEWS CENTER) — Hundreds of World War ll veterans are dying every day in America and with their passing we lose a glimpse into the history that set our nation apart as world leader.
Remembering and helping our veterans from all wars is an important way to honor the brave men and women that sacrificed their lives for our freedoms.
On Thursday, November 16th, NEWS CENTER will be holding its Second Annual Honor Flight Maine Telethon.
Phone lines will be open from 5:00 a.m. through 7:30 p.m. so that you can help NEWS CENTER send Maine veterans from World War ll, the Korean War and Vietnam War to visit their respective memorials in our nation's capital, Washington D.C.
- 855-875-4328 or 207-523-3850 for Portland
- 855-874-9529 or 207-991-5385 in Bangor
- Or donate online at Honor Flight Maine's website here
Honor Flight Maine is a non-profit organization solely created to transport Maine veterans to Washington D.C. for tours of the memorials built in their honor. Honor Flight Maine took its first veterans to D.C. in May of 2014 and since that time has taken thousands of Maine men and women on a trip of a lifetime.
Your help is urgently needed.
It takes $700 to send a veteran roundtrip with Honor Flight Maine. Now is the time to express thanks to the veterans who sacrificed so much to protect our country during time of war.
- 49¢ postage for to mail application to veteran
- $3.00 cost of insurance for veteran on trip
- $7.50 each veteran gets a disposable camera
- $9.00 cost of box lunch for veteran while on tour
- $11.00 cost of Honor Flight Maine t-shirt
- $11.00 cost of lunch on tour bus
- $15.00 cost of lunch at airport
- $20.00 cost of dinner while on tour
- $45.00 cost of tour bus seat
- $275.00 cost of two night lodging at BWI Hilton
- $300.00 cost of veterans roundtrip airfare
- $700.00 full cost of one veteran to go on trip
In 2016, generous Mainers helped NEWS CENTER raise $138,000. Help make their dream of visiting their memorials a reality.
Maine veterans who want the chance to tour D.C. War Memorials can apply at Honor Flight Maine. Veterans are chosen as a first come first serve basis. Guardians can fill out an online application for veterans if they choose.