WALDOBORO (NEWS CENTER Maine) — Two people suffered severe burns as they escaped from the fire that destroyed a home in Waldoboro.

They were already outside the home at 1038 Dutch Neck Road when firefighters arrived around 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 14.

Waldoboro Police Chief Bill LaBombarde said a gas-powered clothes dryer blew up and set the house on fire while the pair were inside. However investigators from the State Fire Marshal's Office said they have not officially pinpointed the cause of the fire. The victims went to LincolnHealth-Miles Campus in Damariscotta where LaBombarde said they were treated for third-degree burns.

Firefighters declined to release the victims' names. However, they identified the homeowner as Robin Pancygrau of Chelmsford, Mass. The victims are friends of Pancygrau, but she was not with them when the Waldoboro home caught fire. Both the victims are men from Dracut, Mass.

Blown up and burned, the home is considered by firefighters to be a total loss.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal's Office have already looked at the scene and will return to continue their work on Friday.