OAKLAND (NEWS CENTER Maine) — A man who lived alone, died in a fire in a small camper Tuesday afternoon in Oakland.

Fire officials say they believe the man was 46-year-old William Halley. The camper's propane heater may have been the cause of the fire on Nov. 13, according to officials, but the investigation continues.

The camper was parked directly next to a friends mobile home on Sawtelle Road. When that friend, Kirk Mullen, got home at about 5:30 on Tuesday, Halley was on the ground and Mullen couldn't help him.

Oakland Fire Chief, David Coughlin, says when his crew arrived the camper was engulfed and the fire had spread to the mobile home.

He says his crews were able to put the fire out quickly.

Heat related fires happen more frequently this time of year and Chief Coughlin offered safety tips for using portable heaters.

"It's important to have them inspected, to have them cleaned. Make sure that they're at least three feet from any combustible material. If it's a portable unit of some kind, make sure it's been third party tested, like a UL sticker or something." He said.

Halley's body has been taken to the State Medical Examiner's Office for examination.