BUCKSPORT, Maine — A woman has been arrested and charged with murder in connection to the October 2017 death of 2-year-old Kloe Hawksley

Maine State and Bucksport Police arrested Savannah Smith, 21, of Bucksport at the Spring Fountain Motel in the town just after 6 p.m. Thursday.

Motel employees tell NEWS CENTER Maine, Smith had been staying here with a new boyfriend for a few weeks.

The dead 2-year-old was the daughter of a previous boyfriend.

On Thursday, State Police and Bucksport Police went to Spring Fountain and asked for Smith.

Her current boyfriend, declined to comment Friday, but motel staff said he just assumed they had more questions into the homicide of the little girl.

Instead, Smith was taken into custody.

Motel employees also say, Smith just had a baby a few days ago.

That child was immediately taken into DHHS custody because of Smith’s connection to the homicide investigation of Kloe, who was not Smith’s daughter.

This arrest was unexpected for those at Spring Fountain.

"We were literally shocked, like if you run a place or you know the reputation of a place you really don’t want anything associated with that. We just knew there was a pregnant girl here that just gave birth to a kid, we didn’t know she would be involved in all that," Kaleem Adnan, manager at Spring Fountain Motel, said.

Smith was indicted earlier in the day by a Hancock County grand jury in connection to the October 2017 death of 2-year-old Kloe Hawksley.

Kloe was found dead inside of a home at 264 Central Street in Bucksport on October 18, 2017 after a 9-1-1 call regarding an unresponsive child.

Since that time, State and Bucksport police have been investigating Kloe's death, which was the first of three suspicious children's deaths in the span of nearly five months.

RELATED: Four-year-old's alleged killer's trial underway

RELATED: Year after 10-year-old's death, Maine DHHS still searching for solutions

Smith was the partner of Kloe's father, Tyler Hawksley. 

Smith is being held at Hancock County Jail without bail, according to the Associated Press.

Smith made her first court appearance on Monday, April 8. The Associated Press reports she is due back in court later this month.