UPDATE — Bangor officials say the medical examiner has ruled the suspicious deaths as homicide.

According to a press release, 43-year-old Michael Bridges and 36-year-old Desiree York, both of Bangor, were killed in the box truck fire late Wednesday night. The deaths have been ruled homicide.

Police are asking for anyone with any information about the case to call them at (207) 947-7384 ext. 5740.

BANGOR (NEWS CENTER Maine) — Officials deemed the discovery of two bodies found in a burned-out truck in Bangor "suspicious" Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters made the gruesome discovery Wednesday night when they were responding to a call for a vehicle fire.

Police said Bangor firefighters responded to the scene at 63 Washington St. around 10 p.m. and discovered the bodies after extinguishing the fire.

The unmarked delivery truck was one of two parked beneath a bridge along the Penobscot River in the parking lot of a nearby shopping plaza.

The trucks appeared to be filled with appliances. Area business owners said they believed the trucks belonged to Dunnett Appliance and Mattress located in the plaza. The company refused to comment on the situation.

Business owners who spoke to NEWS CENTER Maine said the area is a popular gathering place for the city's homeless population.

A group of the owners met Monday morning. Some said it is an ongoing problem that they fear may hurt business.

"Business owners down here just feel sad for what happened last night," Quinn Paradis said.

Paradis is the owner of Hero's Sports Grill that has been at that location for the last nine years. He said he has never seen anything like this.

"We just want to make sure this is still a safe place for our customers, our families and friends that come down here," Paradis said.

Police would not identify the victims. A press conference is set for late Thursday afternoon.

A friend who agreed to speak with NEWS CENTER Maine on condition of anonymity said the two victims, one of whom had just visited their home earlier this week, were homeless. They were described by the person as a couple that had been on-and-off and may have had a history with the Penobscot County Jail.