Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is around the corner! Whether you’re planning a romantic dinner for two, a “gal-entine” style bash or you just prefer to run and hide from the entire thing, there’s always wine to pair with whatever you’ve got in mind. Maia Gosselin from Sip Wine Education with her wine picks for Feb. 14th – somewhat appropriately, the lineup today is entirely from France, Spain, and Italy...aka the Romance Countries. They do know what they’re doing after all!
• Sparkling rose from Italy: – Packaged in a stunning bottle! 100% Pinot Noir bubbly. Festive and flirty, perfect for romance or girls night. Seductively good. What food pairings do you recommend with this?
• Bordeaux Blanc: Fresh and fun! The original home for Sauvignon Blanc. Bordeaux is known mainly for its legendary reds but they produce some outstanding whites as well. Crisp, dry and easy drinking, this is quaffing wine (aka perfect for girls night).
• Chinon Blanc: A lush, aromatic white wine from the Loire – very elegant. Pear, chalk, mineral, ginger and honey. 100% Chenin Blanc. A Sip of romance.
• Italian Rose – rose in the winter? The trend goes all year now! This is bright, velvety and full of flavor. Perfect for chilly weather. 100% Montepulciano, a food rose.
• Red Blend: A Spanish beauty from La Mancha (Don Quixote’s homeland)! Full-bodied and fruity, mostly Tempranillo. A Crianza (aged 2 years, 1 in barrel). Spicy food, roasted fish, lasagna, tapas…
• The Ultimate Romantic Red! The Romeo and Juliet “Passion e Sentimento”…A baby-Amarone style red from Veneto. Made from partially dried grapes, rich and complex. What would you suggest with this for a meal?
And the delectable Rose Water Cream Puffs from Rising Tide Community Market in Damariscotta, will pair with any of the above wines and most likely your sweet one too.