PORTLAND, Maine — This Sunday is the “big one”: Mother’s Day! That special day dedicated to the lovely ladies who deserve to be celebrated, deserve a day of pampering, and of course, deserve wine! Maia Gosselin with Sip Wine Education looks at a range of wines for the amazing moms in your life.
- Louis de Grenelle Sparkling Rosé from Saumur... a Loire Valley bubbly – all Cabernet Franc. Bright & crisp. You have to have bubbles for Mother’s Day and this beauty is a treat.
- Curena “frizzante” white from Emiglia Romagna… fun and fizzy Pignoletto with a sassy label.
- Domaine de la Fruitiere Muscadet… light and lovely white from the Loire. One of my favorite white wines! This is Sevre et Main, the best sub- appellation in Muscadet. An elegant wine from an inelegant grape.
- AIX Rosé… Pretty n’ Pink elegance for moms.
- The market has been flooded with rosés over the last year or so. When this happens, quality goes down. I’m more selective about rosés and went with this premium choice.
- AIX is the name, also the appellation known for producing top rosés.
- A blend, it’s crisp, dry, fruity with raspberry, watermelon, strawberry notes. This is a rose that’s perfect for seafood, salads, and sipping on the patio.
- For the reds! Spann Vineyards aptly named “Betsy’s Backacher”
- Husband and wife team Peter and Betsy Spann created this beauty. Always a Lot # and always a blend – this is Syrah, Zin, Petit Sirah and Petit Verdot – full of character!