Breaking News
More () »

York Middle School reports two additional cases of COVID-19, distance learning to continue through Dec. 22

The town's middle and high schools closed on Nov. 18 after officials declared an outbreak there.

YORK, Maine — Update Dec. 15:

York Schools Superintendent Lou Goscinski announced two additional individuals associated with York Middle School recently tested positive for COVID-19.

Goscinski says based on this new information and after consultation with the Maine CDC, the school building will remain closed and students will continue with distance learning through December 22, 2020. 

At this time, the plan is for students to return for in-person learning after the holiday break on January 4, 2021.

Goscinksi says the school has been cleaned and disinfected according to U.S. CDC guidelines. 

Original Story:

Two weeks after York High School and York Middle School closed due to an outbreak of COVID-19, the town's middle school will close for two weeks due to an additional two cases.

In a letter Wednesday afternoon to students, families, faculty and staff, Superintendent Lou Goscinski announced the Maine Center for Disease Control had declared an outbreak at York Middle School as a result of two additional positive cases.

Goscinski wrote that other schools will remain open for in-person learning, adding, "I am monitoring this situation very closely and will provide an update if additional pertinent information comes to light."

The school has contacted 29 close contacts of the infected individuals, and all are required to quarantine for 14 days.

The school will remain closed through Dec. 16, and students will transition to remote learning.

On Nov. 18, Goscinski said an individual associated with the middle and high schools had tested positive for COVID-19, and the Maine CDC had opened an outbreak investigation.

RELATED: COVID-19 outbreak closes York High School through Dec. 2

Both schools were closed, but middle school students returned to school five days later. The high school was to remain closed until Wednesday, Dec. 2. 

At the time, 49 students and staff identified as close contacts of the person who tested positive were told to quarantine for 14 days.

Before You Leave, Check This Out