PORTLAND, Maine — Eight days have passed since Maine Governor Janet Mills aligned the state's vaccination plan with President Biden's directive to prioritize school staff and childcare providers for the COVID-19 vaccine.
That shift made more than 50,000 Mainers newly eligible, in addition to the nearly 201,000 Maine people age 60 and older who the Governor announced February 26 would become eligible under the state's age-based approach.
There are three main options for teachers, educators, school staff, and licensed childcare workers to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
1. Federal Retail Pharmacy Program: President Biden directed retail pharmacies participating in this program to reserve all remaining vaccine appointments exclusive for educators through the end of March.
Pharmacies in Maine participating include 47 Walgreens locations, 24 Walmart and Sam's Club pharmacies, and 35 Hannaford pharmacies.
- SIGN UP AT WALGREENS: Click here, or go through their state department of health website. You may need to create a Walgreens account in order to register.
- SIGN UP AT HANNAFORD: Vaccines can be scheduled by appointment only through Hannaford’s online scheduler here.
- SIGN UP AT WALMART by clicking here and Sam's Club by clicking here.
2. Maine DHHS dedicated vaccine sites for teachers, school staff: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and Department of Education (DOE) have set up clinics for teachers eligible under the age-based approach. The first one occurs March 12, 13, and 14, and is for teachers ages 60 and older. School district staff will contact staff with information about how they can register for the dedicated clinics.
3. Hospital and health care clinics: these are the same clinics where Mainers who are not teachers have been registering for their appointments since the vaccine rollout began. Teachers may not get priority over other eligible people under the state's age-based approach.
4. Northern Light Health announced Thursday that it is accepting teachers of all ages, so long as they provide proof of employment, such as a school ID or paystub.