AUGUSTA, Maine — Rural Mainers and those in underserved communities will soon find the COVID-19 vaccine closer to home thanks to a new mobile vaccination unit.
Beginning Monday at the Oxford Casino and then traveling throughout the state, the mobile vaccination unit is slated to provide the Johnson & Johnson one-shot vaccine to as many as 250 people a day.
Following several days at the casino, the MVU will travel to Windham, Biddeford, Fryeburg, Turner, Waterville, Old Town, Milbridge, Calais, Madawaska, and Auburn over the next two months, according to a release from the office of Gov. Janet Mills.
The 11 communities were chosen, in part, due to their "social vulnerability," Maine DHHS Commissioner Jeanne Lambrew said Tuesday.
GOVERNOR JANET MILLS UNVEILS MOBILE COVID VACCINE UNIT
Appointments are required. Oxford County representatives can call the state's Community Vaccination Line at 888-445-4111. Information on scheduling appointments at the other sites will be available on the state vaccination website in the coming days, Lambrew said.
“The mobile clinic adds another important option in our efforts to vaccinate Maine people quickly and equitably,” Dr. Nirav D. Shah, director of the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said in the release. “This partnership allows us to shorten the distance between Maine people and shots that can save their lives.”
According to the release, the administration of Gov. Janet Mills requested support from FEMA after President Joe Biden committed to using federal resources to help states vaccinate residents.
The MVU program will be funded primarily by the federal government with "ancillary" state support, Lambrew said Tuesday.
The Mobile Vaccination Unit Schedule:
- April 12-16, Oxford Casino, 777 Casino Way, Oxford
- April 18-22, Windham Mall,795 Roosevelt Trail, Windham
- April 24-28, Biddeford High School, 10-20 Maplewood Avenue, Biddeford
- April 30-May 3, Fryeburg Fairgrounds, 1154 Main St., Fryeburg
- May 5-7, Boofy Quimby Memorial Center, 96 Howes Corner Road, Turner
- May 9-12, Marden's Surplus and Salvage, 458 Memorial Drive, Waterville
- May 14-17, Old Town Police and Fire, 150 Brunswick St., Old Town
- May 19-22, Milbridge Marina, Bay View Road, Millbridge
- May 24-27, Thomas Dicenzo Athletic Complex, Calais Avenue, Calais
- May 29-June 2, Madawaska Multi Purpose Center, 160 7th Ave., Madawaska
- June 9-12, Downtown Auburn Transportation Center, GreatFalls Plaza, Auburn