Breaking News
More () »

Buxton man turns himself into police after alleged incident involving physical altercation and shotgun

Buxton police chief says the suspect, Brady Dix Sr., turned himself in on Tuesday.

BUXTON, Maine — Buxton Police Chief Troy Cline confirmed to NEWS CENTER Maine that Brady Dix Sr., the man police were searching for last week, turned himself into police on Tuesday. Last week, officials said his family was trying to get him to do so. 

Dix is scheduled for initial arraignment at 1 p.m. Wednesday in Springvale District Court.

According to Cline, police said they responded to Dunnell Road around 9:30 a.m. on May 18 due to a reported "disturbance." Police said in a release it was reported Dix, of Buxton, was in possession of a shotgun and had been in a physical altercation with his adult son. 

At the time of the incident, Dix was on bail with conditions of release to include no use or possession of dangerous weapons including firearms, according to police.

According to an affidavit submitted by Buxton police officer James Bradbury, the day before the incident, Dix's adult son, Brady Dix Jr., said his father was intoxicated and upset that he would potentially be incarcerated soon. Dix reportedly told his son he would be taking back his house, which is currently bank-owned and in the process of being bought back by Dix Jr. 

Bradbury's affidavit says an argument between the father and son ensued, resulting in Dix assaulting his son.

The next day on May 18, Dix Jr. returned to the home with his other family members and found his father sitting in a chair with a shotgun on his lap, the affidavit says. Dix reportedly told his family members to leave the house and then fired the shotgun out the back window. Dix allegedly went outside and assaulted his son by pushing him and causing a small cut on his head. 

Family members were safely outside the home on Dunnell Road when police arrived the morning of the incident, and family members told police Dix was inside with several firearms. 

Police thought it was a standoff and attempted to contact him before they discovered Dix wasn’t in the house. After an arrest warrant was issued for Dix, the Maine State Police Tactical Unit and Buxton police officers entered the residence just before 3 p.m. and discovered Dix was not there. 

Before You Leave, Check This Out