PORTLAND, Maine — A fire started in the kitchen of a first floor unit of an apartment building on Sherwood Street in Portland Sunday morning, according to the owner of the property.

Sherwood st building fire, Portland
NCM

Portland Police tweeted it was a second alarm fire and asked traffic to avoid the area while crews worked to extinguish the fire around 1:00 a.m.

The owner said he is working with the Red Cross to assist the 15 tenants displaced from heavy fire and smoke damage. Of the tenants, University of New England students, who graduated Saturday, losing the majority of their personal belongings.

Sherwood st building fire, Portland
NCM

Over the last two years, the building installed interconnecting smoke detectors throughout all of the units and fire doors, following inspections and from the fire department, according to the owner.  

No one was injured, but a few cats are unaccounted for.