INDIANAPOLIS — Are you looking for last-minute Super Bowl dish ideas to please party guests? 13News headed to our local Kroger for some inspiration and top trends for 2022, which include charcuterie boards.
Kroger’s top 10 trends for 2022 can be broken down into three categories: emerging flavors, item premiumization, and behavior shifts.
1. Umami away! Umami is a part of the Asian cuisine and helps elevate other ingredients and is exploding across new products.
- Private Selection Chile Crisp Condiment
- Private Selection Chile Crisp Sauce
- Private Selection Premium Truffle Butter
- Private Selection Sweet & Spicy Soy Chile Sauce
- Simple Truth Plant-Based Korean Style Meatless Meatballs
- Kroger Teriyaki Style Cook-in-Bag Pork Tenderloin
- Kroger Wild Mushroom Ravioli
- Private Selection Sweet & Savory California Tomato Jam
2. ‘Everything’ seasoning is the trending flavor for 2022, as consumers top their favorite meals with a savory touch. Be on the lookout for ‘everything’ inspired foods.
- Simple Truth Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend
- Kroger Everything Bagel Sour Cream Dip & Spread
- Private Selection Everything Bagel Flavored Bacon
- Simple Truth Everything Bagel Seasoned Mashed Avocado
- Simple Truth Organic Everything Seasoning Keto Seed Crackers
3. Tastes of tequila. The biggest beverage taste of 2022 follows the umami trend – savory tequila. As consumers continue to host at home, tequila is a shareable spirit.
Products to Try:
- Simple Truth Organic Cilantro Lime Jalapeno Margarita Mix
- Private Selection Bloody Mary Cocktail Mixer
- Simple Truth Organic Ginger Lime Mule Mix
- Simple Truth Tropical Turmeric Juice Cocktail
- Simple Truth Organic Paletas Caribbean Style Mix Frozen Fruit Bars
- Kroger Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
- Big K Pineapple Passion Fruit Soda
- Private Selection Strawberry Mango Pineapple Blend Frozen Fruit
- Private Selection Tequila Serrano Beef Jerky
4. #TBT flavors. As consumers cook more at home, recipes from their childhood are delivering comfort and joy to people. Think of the nostalgic 90s comeback, but apply it to meals.
Products to Try:
- Kroger Deluxe Fluffer Nutter Ice Cream
- Kroger Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich Cookies
- Kroger Mini Pizza Bagels
- Kroger Pimento Cheese Spread
- Kroger Edible Cookie Dough
- Kroger Corn Dogs
- Simple Truth Organic Sour Cherry Fruit Chews
- Private Selection All Beef Hot Dogs
5. PLANeT-based foods. Consumers continue to focus on the health of the planet, not just through plant-based foods, but also by reducing their waste impact with upcycled ingredients and more recyclable packaging. Plant-based foods are now being purchased for indulgence, comfort, and nostalgia, rather than being solely known as the healthier choice for our bodies, while still helping consumers lower their carbon footprint.
- Kroger Egg & Cheddar Croissant with Plant-Based Breakfast Patty
- Simple Truth Plant Based Cheesecake, Cupcakes, Mac & Cheese
- Simple Truth Plant-Based Baking Mixes made with upcycled Okara Flour in Sugar Cookie, Chocolate Chip Cookie, and Dark Chocolate Brownie
- Simple Truth Non-Dairy Cheese Shreds, Slices
6. Grocery glow up. Cooking at home isn’t just about convenience anymore; emulating restaurant and travel experiences at home with up-leveled, “Instagram-able” meals is trending today. Consumers are raising the bar when recreating dining experiences at home and have been met with the premiumization of frozen food as well.
- Private Selection Duroc Baby Back Ribs, Bone in Pork Chop, Boneless Pork Chops
- Private Selection Macarons
- Simple Truth Grass-fed Beef Burgers, Beef Hot Dogs
- Simple Truth Organic Flavored Nitro Coffee
- Kroger Bavarian Pretzel
- Kroger Family Size Broccoli & Parmesan Sauce
- Private Selection Goat Cheese & Crispy Bacon Pinsa Crust Style Pizza
- Private Selection Ruby Chocolate Ice Cream Bar
- Simple Truth Organic Plant-Based Meals Kimchi Meatballs
7. Hyper-local: Consumers are more conscious about the environmental and social impacts of their purchases and are making it a point to purchase products grown or made close to home. Alternative farms have created a way to get locally sourced, natural ingredients at their peak freshness – so everyone can support and enjoy their local farms – and in-store bakery items are providing consumers a chance to support small businesses.
Kroger launched Go Fresh & Local in 2021, which offers additional opportunities for fresh suppliers to become part of the organization’s supplier network.
8. Natural health & beauty. Consumers are seeking out natural products to increase beauty from the inside out. Eating for beauty and medicine with food and beverage products that have health and beauty-boosting benefits are trending in 2022, with examples including fermented kombuchas, collagen-rich bone broths, antioxidants, probiotics, reductions of sugar, and additions of omega-3s.
Products to Try:
- Simple Truth Beauty Crate Avocado Coconut Papaya Bar Soap
- Simple Truth Beauty Crate Almond + Oatmeal + Honey Effervescent Bath Bombs
- Simple Truth Organic 2% Reduced Fat Milk with Omega-3s
- Simple Truth Organic Low-Sugar/Zero Sugar Kombucha
- Simple Truth Organic Tropical Turmeric No Sugar Added Juice
- Simple Truth Body Oil – Rosemary Mint and Coconut Papaya
- Private Selection Drinkable Chicken Bone Broths
9. Good enough to share. Whether you’re vegan, organic, gluten-free or otherwise, you can have your cake and share it too. Foods for specific diets or eating styles taste so good when everyone can enjoy them and no one is left out.
Products to Try:
- Kroger Family Size Migas Egg Bake
- Kroger Pork, Beef, Pepper Jack & Cheddar Party Tray
- Kroger Carbmaster Classic White Bread
- Simple Truth Plant-Based Cupcakes
- Simple Truth Vegan Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Private Selection Protein Pancake Mix – Toasted Coconut
10. All aboard charcuterie. Charcuterie has created a board craze, especially when it comes to breakfast and dessert. Boards have branched out beyond appetizers to offer consumers a variety of small portions to make the most out of every meal. As “boardies” start or end their day, breakfast and dessert boards open a world of flavors without the commitment to a single dish.
Products to Try:
- Private Selection Dipped Cheesecake Bites
- Private Selection Caramelized Onion Burger Topper
- Kroger Mini Quiche Duo
- Home Chef Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Peppers Stuffed with Cream Cheese
- Bakery Fresh Goodness French Toast Fritters
- Bakery Fresh Goodness Loaf Cakes
- Murray's Cheese Wild Blueberry Preserves
- Simple Truth Almond Butter Filled Pretzels