Maine By The Mile
Katahdin Region: 5 things to know before you go
Tucked away in northern Penobscot County is 87,000 acres of land set aside for conservation.
Watch "Katahdin Region" - Episode 2 of Maine by the Mile at mainebythemile.com
1. Cell service in the national monument is nonexistent or spotty — prepare to interact with people.
2. Logging roads in the area are very rough, especially after grading — locals suggest 10-ply tires.
3. Signage in the national monument and guiding visitors to the national monument is minimal — bring maps.
4. Black flies, horse flies and deer flies all live in the monument — pack bug spray.
5. Some roads in the monument close seasonally — check with the park office before exploring.