MAINE, USA — On March 15, 1820, Maine officially became the 23rd state in the U.S. The Maine Bicentennial Commission is sponsoring a few major events, but there are dozens of events across the state happening through March to celebrate.
Events have been happening across Maine since January, but don’t worry there’s plenty ahead: hikes, animal tracking, art and history exhibits, Maine cinema history, live concerts, and more.
The major events are:
- Postponed to a later date due to coronavirus precautions: Statehood Day: March 15, 1 p.m, Augusta Armory
- Bicentennial Parade: May 16, 10 a.m., in Auburn and Lewiston
- Sailing Ships Festival: June 21-July 20, up and down the coast (Bangor, Belfast, Boothbay Harbor, Bucksport, Castine, Portland, Rockland, and Seaport)
- Time Capsule Sealing: Oct. 10, time TDB, Maine State Library in Augusta
Here are some other highlights:
- Winter family fun day: Feb. 22, 9 a.m., Bradbury Mt. State Park, Pownal
- Hike with the ranger: Feb. 23, 2-3 p.m., Wolfe’s Neck State Park, Freeport
- Rufus Porter’s Curious World: Art and Invention in America, 1815-1860: March 1, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick
- Maine at 200-A Visual History: March 4, 6:30-7:30 p.m., South Portland Public Library
- Maine Preservation’s 9th Annual Gala-March Forward: Celebrating Maine’s Next Century: March 5, 5-8 p.m., The Portland Club
- State of Mind: Becoming Maine: March 13-Jan. 30, 2021, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Maine Historical Society, Portland
- Bicentennial Birthday Bash: March 14, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland
- MaineMadeMusic presents Dirigo Rocks!: March 14, 7:30-10:30 p.m., Camden Opera House
- Traditional Boiled New England Dinner: March 14, 5 p.m., American Legion Williams-Brazier Post 037, Thomaston
- Star Lighting on Statehood Day: March 15, 9 p.m., Historic Fire Station, Presque Isle
- Maine Science Festival Headliner: March 22, 3 p.m., Collins Center for the Arts, Orono
- Maine Spring Ring 2020: March 28, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Auburn Middle School
- Schooner Bowdoin: From Arctic Explorer to Maritime Teacher: April 9, 6-7 p.m., Maine Maritime Museum, Bath
For a complete list of bicentennial events, click here.
We want to see how you enjoy the celebrations. Share your photos with us on social media with #MaineTurns200.