Chef David Turin is getting ready for the
on June 11th.
In the 207 kitchen, he sautéed assorted locally grown mushrooms from North Spore mushrooms in Portland. To accompany the mushrooms, David roasted North country slab bacon, smokey mornay sauce and bourbon, maple and bacon jam.
Bourbon, Maple and Bacon Jam
Yield: 3 C
1 ½ lbs bacon
1 C shallots, finely chopped
2 C onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 t chili powder
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/1 C bourbon
1/2 C maple syrup
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
1/2 C brown sugar
Method of Preparation:
1. Cook the bacon in oven until crisp - drain fat save a little
2. Chop shallots, onions and garlic in the food processor
3. Cook in bacon fat
Add the chili powder and paprika
4. Add the bourbon and maple syrup. Bring to a boil for about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add vinegar and brown sugar, continue to boil for about 3 minutes.
6. Roughly chop cooked bacon add to pot
simmer for about 10 minutes, the mixture will thicken and look jam like in the process.
Drain excess fat when jam is cool