You don't normally need a recipe for a sandwich. But when French and Vietnamese cuisines meet on a loaf of bread, you better start paying attention.
Chef Colin Kelly from Gather in Yarmouth shares his recipe for a pork belly banh mi that is, in a word, bonkers.
Ingredients (makes 4)
• Baguette or long roll (4)
• 1 lb Pork Belly
• Pate (any kind)
• Fresh Cilantro
• Carrot, (2 shaved or shredded)
• Chili Peppers, (2 sliced thin)
• Cucumber Pickles (one diced)
• Pickling liquid: Salt (1 Tbs), Water (2 cups), Rice Vinegar (1 cup), Sugar (1 cup)
• Pork belly spices (equal parts salt, pepper, kimchee chili)
Quick Pickling: bring to a boil the salt, sugar, and rice vinegar, water. Pour over carrot and chili pepper. Place in refrigerator uncovered for a least one hour before use.
Pork Belly: Rub belly with spices, Roast high on raised rack at 450 degrees until crispy and dark golden brown. Lower to 270 degrees and cook until tender throughout.
Sandwich Assembly: Slice/griddle baguette, spread mayo on one side, pate on the other. Lay slices of pork belly. Pile high w/fresh cilantro and pickled vegetables.