PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Here's a new twist on an old favorite for the Thanksgiving holiday.
These recipes are courtesy of Gourmet Bake Shoppe in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Apple Pie Pops
• 2 large apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
• ¼ cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• Dash salt
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 - 15 ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust (2 crusts)
• 10 paper or wooden lollipop sticks
• 1 egg, separated
• 2 teaspoons water
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, cook apples, the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1 tsp. apple pie spice, the lemon juice, and salt over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until apples are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl
combine cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water until smooth. Add to apple mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and well combined. Mixture will thicken quickly.
3. Unroll pie crusts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each crust to a 12-inch circle. Using a 3-inch round or leaf cutter, make 10 cutouts in each circle of dough.
4. Arrange 10 of the cutouts on the prepared baking sheet. Press a lollipop stick firmly into the center of each dough cutout. Spoon a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of each cutout. You will have leftover filling.
5. In a small bowl whisk the egg white and 1 tsp. water until frothy. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to brush mixture around the edge of each dough shape. Place a second cutout of dough on top of the filling. Use a fork to seal the edges, taking care that dough is sealed around lollipop stick.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and remaining 1 tsp. water. Brush atop pie pops. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice. Sprinkle over pops.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet. Makes 10 pops.
Buttery Flaky Pie Crust
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
• 1/4 cup ice water
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
For more recipes and ideas from the Gourmet Bake Shoppe, go to their website here.